This links on this page give a short history of William’s time in Castlemaine. It lists the mining leases he had in the Castlemaine area and his interests in shares in Gold Mining Companies. Included also are details of a letters of patent he had granted by the Attorney General’s Department for a direct steam driven stamping machine for crushing the ore.
William first lived at Barkers Creek about a mile north of Castlemaine on the Harcourt and Bendigo road. William’s main partner in his enterprises whilst he was in Barkers Creek and Castlemaine was John Hopkins Walter who owned The Old England Hotel which was on the main road and at the entrance to Specimen Gully where gold was first found in 1851. See an image of this hotel on this page, it is now a private residence but the bar has been restored to its former state of the time.
CLICK HERE to see a description of the Bibby family in Barkers Creek and Castlemaine.
CLICK HERE to see a list of William’s Mining Leases.
CLICK HERE to see William’s share holding list.
A notice in the Melbourne Argus regarding William’s letters of patent appeared in 1874 when he was most successful as a mine manager and owner.
Click on Image to see the full patent No. 1873 granted in February 1874
Copyright © Victor R. P. Bibby 2012 All rights reserved.
No part of this web site may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner.
The Argus (Melbourne, Victoria Friday 27 February 1874 p 4
William Bibby Castlemaine Patent
|Specimen Hill Mine|
|William's Patent 1873|
|A Gold Field|
|Cricket at Raub|
|The Misses Bibby|
|40 Head Battery|
|Family After Raub|
|Return to Raub|