If you see this note instead of a photo gallery here you need to open this website in Internet Explorer
Return to top of page
This section includes a brief history of what happened to the mine after the departure of the Bibby family members from any involvement and a description of the Raub Mine activities at Bukit Koman at the present day.
A collection of modern day images from a recent visit by the author can be viewed below. There are other family images from the Raub era and post Raub on the Family After Raub page that date from the early days.
Click on the picture of the Poppet Head under the menu to read a description of the mine activities in the mid 1950’s. This article was written when the mine was re-opened and paying dividends, after the second world war. The pictures in this article, unfortunately are of poor quality in this reproduction, but they do give an indication of what the mine looked like and what it would have looked like in Williams day as the machinery and processing was the same. William is called Walter, an error on the part of the author of course. The RAGM as it was called, ceased trading in the early 1960’s when shaft mining proved uneconomic, presumably as no new paying leaders were found.
Present day activities focus on working the tailings left by William and those that followed using Carbon extraction with Cyanide; a controversial process attracting some dissent from the ancestors of the people who worked the mine in William’s days and throughout the life of the mine. The tailings extend from the original Bukit Koman Main Shaft areas to Bukit Malacca, a vast area extending some Kilometres North of the present village of Bukit Koman. It is claimed that the tailings in the region of Bukit Koman alone contain reserves of some 180,000 oz which at today’s prices of around $1300 an oz justifies the expenditure on the current plant of $10 million, and consideration of further plant investment in expansion, presuming the gold price holds of course.
Copyright © Victor R. P. Bibby 2012 All rights reserved.
No part of this web site may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner.
Click on shaft head image for description of the RAGM in the 1950s
|Specimen Hill Mine|
|William's Patent 1873|
|A Gold Field|
|Cricket at Raub|
|The Misses Bibby|
|40 Head Battery|
|Family After Raub|
|Return to Raub|