Copyright © Victor R. P. Bibby 2012 All rights reserved.
No part of this web site may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner.
This section includes a selection of articles from the period from 1895 to 1900. This period was a time of increasing production and the mine became to be called a “gold field”.
The gold bearing deposits were found in what is called vertical folds of mesothermal quartz-carbonate veins that run like a fault line running approximately due North South along the spine or mountain range of the Peninsula centred on Raub, see map this page. There was always the question that remained, which prevailed long after William’s time, as to whether there was a deep lode running north
This type of deposit is the same as found in the goldfields in Victoria, Australia and, of course, the Australians and William in particular knew very well how to work it efficiently. William prospected along this line and separate mines were opened along it away from the “Hole” just North of Raub called; Bukit Koman, Bukit Jellis and Bukit Malacca.
A series of feature stories about the Raub Mines were published in the Straits Times that were compiled into a book called “Golden Raub”. This book is in the National Library of Singapore as part of the Raffles Collection.
During this period all William’s family; the wives, sons and daughters came together at Raub and in the Peninsula and the family became well known, creating much social as well as commercial and some times political comment.
Cricket matches were played between various European other enterprises and settlements and in the one written about here, three of the five sons played. All the sons had jobs at the mine. The eldest son William Charles left to mine elsewhere and another was soon to arrive. The three daughters were also at Raub and became known for their adventurous spirit. The Bibby family had a suite of rooms at the Hotel de Europe in Singapore which was used as a base when they were visiting from Raub; they of course, also stayed at the Raffles Hotel.
Many articles were written in the local press and in Australia, for example every shareholders meeting was reported in full and appeared in many newspapers across Australia and the Malay Peninsula. William gained much notoriety from the effect of his statements and activities on share prices, even to his state of health on the price, leading to some calling him “The charmer”. This period of development brought the first railway to Pahang and culminated in the introduction of electrical power to the mine, and soon after Raub town; this was before Kuala Lumpur and Singapore were electrified. There was also with the general prosperity, a continuing battle with the Brisbane for further capital investment by making a call for funds from the shareholders.
From J.R. Scrivenor Geology & Mining Industries ULU PAHANG 1911
|Specimen Hill Mine|
|William's Patent 1873|
|A Gold Field|
|Cricket at Raub|
|The Misses Bibby|
|40 Head Battery|
|Family After Raub|
|Return to Raub|